Undocumented students at the University of New Mexico add tremendous value to our university community. UNM is richer and stronger because of them. As an institution, UNM is committed to do all it can to support and empower our undocumented students to reach their full potential at the university.
Welcome Undocumented UNM Community
The University of New Mexico (UNM) affirms its strongest support and continued solidarity for our undocumented students and their families. We continue to work with Congress, other universities, and national organizations to ensure that these students are legally protected and can pursue their education moving forward.
UNM is committed to maintaining the anonymity of our undocumented students, and following existing federal guidelines, campus police will not contact, detain, question or arrest an individual solely on the basis of suspected undocumented immigration status or to discover the immigration status of any individual.
Our undocumented students and their families have demonstrated courage and resilience in the face of tremendous adversity. UNM stands with you in this difficult time. You are not alone. You are cherished. You belong here. At UNM, we value each and every one of our students because each of us defines all of us. Long before DACA, UNM had established a tradition of serving undocumented students, and we will continue to find ways to make higher education more accessible and inclusive.
In the State of New Mexico, we have a law commonly referred to as SB 582. This law establishes two things:
- Universities are prohibited from discriminating against students based on their immigration status; and
- Provides in-state tuition and state funds such as the Legislative Lottery Scholarship if you:
- Attended a year of secondary education in New Mexico and
- Graduated or obtained a GED in New Mexico
Thank you for your interest in the University of New Mexico!
- College applications can be an intimidating process and you should not have to do it alone.
- Considering UNM? Review the application process for undocumented students here
- Remember to ask for help from your professors, counselors and allies!